Sunday, September 25, 2005

Ender's Game

I just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and liked it a lot. The ending was weird, but we'll have to see where it takes us in Ender's Shadow, which I will read next.

---Warning may contain spoilers------

I really like the main question / theme of the book: Is is worth it to ruin the life of one to save a whole world? Well, I think that Graff choose correctly, it was worth it. And was Ender's life really ruined? Is he smart enough to become something more than just a military weapon? Sure, I think that was the whole weird-carring-the-egg ending, it was the start of him becomming more than an killing machine.

I'm really excited to see the film adaptation sometime next year. that will be interesting. Will they touch as heavily on the same themes, or just try to have the amazing battle sequences carry the movie because it would be hard to cram in the interesting moral dilemas with all the astounding action. I hope they pull it off. I haven't seen any of the movies that Wolfgang Petersen has directed (troy, perfect storm, in the line of fire, air force one, outbreak) but I have a lot of hope.

speaking of movies, who is excited for Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, Nacho Libre, King Kong and Corpus Bride?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a work from home site. Financial freedom work from home.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Adrian: PRESS RELEASE: ABOUT THE BEST WORK AT HOME PROSPECT AND WHY Press Release From Google News about the site link above

b-ryce said...

wow anonymous, I'm glad you liked ender's game also. good insight on the whole work at home thing. It fits in nicely here on my site. You can comment anytime. I feel smarter having read your post.

Celeste said...

Bryce, I loved Ender's Game!!!I read it in one day, I read it all through my classes, and walking to every class. I've also read all the books thereafter. Ender's Shadow, is pretty comparable, but they others are very different. I still really enjoyed them though, they just headed in a different direction. And you be happy, that Ender's life really isn't all that "ruined." He goes on to do some pretty incredible things. Also next time you read a book,that you're excited about and you call my husband, call before 9:30, you woke both of us up. But we love you anyway. :)

b-ryce said...

sorry celeste, i won't call so late.

Anonymous said...

DUDE ENDERS GAME ROCKS AND IM WITH CELESTE THAT ENDER DIDNT HAVE THAT BAD OF O LIFE. HE WAS LIKE A MOUSE THAT FELL INTO SOME CREAM, AND WALKED OUT

Anonymous said...

HEY TIM, HOW THE HECK ARE YA DOIN FATTY! ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOU SOME WHERE NEER THE LOOP AGAIN

SHAWN WALKER

walaber said...

hey shawn what's up. you know you could leave me a message on my blog... just click on my name to find it :)
to stay on topic, Ender's Game is really good- I read it back in High School so I really need to read it again (and the rest of the books). I'm looking forward to the movie though, the zero-gravity training and fight scenes should be amazing.